Whether you a hardcore whitewater paddler or just a recreational floater on slower rivers, you need this course. Rivers are incredibly dangerous and tons of people die every year while doing paddle sports. This course is designed to first teach you about the dangers of the water and how to avoid them. But to also teach you how to rescue your friends as well as recover lost boats. These are essential must have skills for everyone interested in paddle sports of any type in faster moving waterways.
Course Overview: The Swift water Rescue workshop teaches recognition and avoidance of common river hazards, execution of self-rescue techniques, and rescue techniques for paddlers in distress. Emphasis is placed both on personal safety and on simple, commonly used skills. Fundamental and more advanced techniques for dealing with hazards that carry greater risks for both victim and rescuer, such as strainers, rescue vest applications, entrapments, and pins, also are practiced. Scenarios will provide an opportunity for participants to practice their skills both individually and within a team/group context.
• Promote proactive prevention of river accidents and injuries.
• Develop and practice key self-rescue skills.
• Identify and avoid river hazards by understanding hydrology, hazards, and river features.
• Focus on fast, low-risk strategies for early management of river accidents
• Develop and practice methods for recovering swimmers, and loose boats and equipment
• Develop and practice more advanced rope-based and in-water skills
• Gain experience using the rescue PFD, and understand its strengths and weaknesses
• Utilize rescue scene management principles needed within a paddling group
*NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NEEDED. PEOPLE OF AVERAGE FITNESS LEVEL WELCOME! GET CERTIFIED IN TWO DAYS! EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE FOR RENT OR PURCHASE
Personal Equipment Needed: PFD designed for whitewater use, whitewater helmet (available for rent), protective clothing suitable for extended swimming in cold water (available for rent), protective water based footwear, boat, paddle.